Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Your Whole Life!

Week 3 of the 3D Diet or the Your Whole Life Plan! So far I have lost and gained 2 pounds! So my journey has been up...then down. I am so grateful for the 25 women who have made this commitment to better themselves with me. If it wasn't for their fellowship and the looming scale awaiting me in 6 days, I may be tempted to indulge in that Cadbury egg I've had in my freezer for the past 3 months and a good book. But, I am determined to do the work and instead I vow to do the dreaded aerobics I've saved on my Tivo.

Last night in our weekly session I had an "Aha" moment. I know God is in everything...He has been calling me to discipline for longer than I'd like to admit. But why is He so interested in my losing some pounds? If God looks at the inside and not the out, and if He asks me "not to worry about my body" (Mt. 6:25), what's the big deal? Then I saw the word on the dry erase board as one of our group members was explaining her thoughts on the past week's devotions: PERSEVERANCE. It practically knocked me over. All this time I had acquired many spiritual disciplines in my journey with the Lord, I had let go of some huge pitfalls, I had come so far and yet had what seemed like eternity to go.....I felt like I had persevered through so much. But I felt like the Lord saying to me .... persevere, persevere.

I knew what He meant. Years ago, after my first miscarriage, I was diagnosed with Thyroid disease. Without going into details, my weight has drastically changed. I was a size eight when I began dating my husband and now I can barely squeeze into my fabulous size 16. I can say that I did fight this for some time, but it seemed that my efforts did nothing to impact my seemingly non-existent metabolism. Believe it or not, after a 21 day fast, my weight did not change even though my husband shed 35 pounds. After my daughter's birth I had just about given up. Persevere. To what end? This word alone seems daunting, dangerous and slightly mythical. I reminded that it is something love does (I Cor. 7) ALWAYS. To persevere means to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly. So why is God so interested in my persevering? I study on to find its end in the scriptures that bring life. Perseverance produces character, and character hope according to Romans 5. I read about Moses, who had his eye on God, led his people out of Egypt with perseverance, how after we finish the race and persevere we will gain the crown of life, save ourselves, and receive the promises of God!

But it was in the book of James (my personal fav) that shot through my spirit: Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. To have everything needed to finish this race, to be so completely complete, not wanting ANYTHING, lacking nothing, what would I give for this treasure?! What would I do to acquire this fullness? What does God say will enable this gift to be mine? Perseverance! So I rejoice! I rejoice that through the workings of patience, through suffering and sweat - I will find myself complete and fully armed to continue through this Christian life until I find my reward in eternity. Sweet perseverance and promise.....and one that stands higher....HOPE! So press on sisters, God is working a miracle in you and through you!

1 comment:

  1. Jannifer,
    Thank you sooooooo much for starting your blog!! I was just thinking yesterday that I really thought it would be a good idea for all of us to be able to "hookup" online during the week, or through text, or phone calls to help encourage one another or to make a desperate call for help when we are about to "sin" with food!!
    I need accountability! It is too easy for me to cheat when I know noone is watching or checking up on me. I couldn't attend last night's meeting because I had [yet another] night class and I will honestly admit I was glad I didn't have to go! Why? Because I knew that I had not done well that week and the scale would prove it!!
    I did not know about your thyroid problem and I will keep you on my prayer list to be healed of that nasty condition - the last thing we women want is some kind of health problem that affects our weight!! Not that we are so focused on the outside, but the way we feel physically can really start to effect us mentally, right?!
    I really am quite busy all the time and it is super difficult for me to find time to exercise and meal plan and write all this stuff down and keep track of it all. So, my prayer request is that I, too, will perservere to find the time to do these things this week (and beyond).
    Love ya sistah!!
    Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete